Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Best Pot of Coffee I Ever Made

I think the aroma of fresh coffee in the morning wakes up your senses and starts the day off with a feeling of vitality. With no coffee in the morning a lot of people have a hard time getting started. Coffee jump-starts my day.

I have used just about every type of coffeemaker there is. The percolators make a fine brew as do the programmable automatic ones. Whether you use glass or prefer stainless steel the finished product is only as good as the water you started with. Too much iron in the water tends to turn it green. Chlorine or fluoride will give the coffee an odd taste. Good water is essential. If you are lucky enough to have an artisan well I am jealous. I get coffee water from my neighbor, he has an artisan well with no iron.

I generally use a French Press coffeemaker but my favorite way to make the brew is with an egg.You are probably thinking, an egg? Yes, an egg. My great grandmother made egg coffee and it is a real treat. I make it for special occasions or when I want to share a cup with someone who has never heard of egg coffee.

To make egg coffee you need a clean pot and fresh cold water. I use an enamel one. Measure your coffee grounds into a cup and add a beaten egg. Stir the mixture into the cold water and put the pot over a low heat. Slowly heat to a boil, stirring often. When it comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Let sit for about two minutes then strain it into a cup.

That may sound like a lot of monkey business but I think it is well worth the effort. Coffee made like this over a campfire in the outdoors is delicious. At Christmas we add a little Irish Creme for flavor. Santa sure enjoys it.

I am such a cooking enthusiast that I made a website as a tribute to five generations of country cooks. You will find other cooking tips at http://www.pothaven.com

http://www.pothaven.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Blackorwhite' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008